Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how often your air filter has been swapped out, to name a handful—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask AC Sales in Lafayette about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the timeline between professional cleanings.
First and foremost, arrange regular HVAC maintenance with the specialists at AC Sales. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating well, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at AC Sales about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters routinely and changing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not demand exchanging.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that allow dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Lafayette home clean and healthy. Give the experts at AC Sales a call at (337) 234-2345.