Whether you appreciate winter or desire the warmer months in Lafayette, most of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Check weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that should be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your home warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it must be switched out. We advocate at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Install a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can set temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—despite your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The team at AC Sales can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give AC Sales in Lafayette a call to begin. Give us a shout at (337) 234-2345 or arrange an appointment with us online.