While the cold season seems like it’s already been here for much too long, its impact on our heating bill is only beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To begin reducing your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to bring sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your current furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep the heat trapped inside.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Working to keep your energy bills down and energy efficiency up, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a buzz at (337) 234-2345. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Lafayette weather.